Englerville USA

wander through the many streets that are our life...

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

>The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck<

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy

It's been a busy couple of weeks, hence the no update.
A couple of weeks ago a friend of the family found out about a possible job opening at a Montessori school and called to see if I might be interested. I was - I had just recently been checking out Montessori schools to see what they were all about and I was also trying to think of possible positions that I might be interested in doing.
To make it short - the Montessori school was calling my references and one of them happened to be Sandy Ryan (she's a friend and I also clean her house, I used to watch her son, etc.) - she and her husband own the Ryan Funeral Home in Homewood, and they just recently aquired Tews Funeral Home in Homewood as well. So she got the phone call about the school and obviously found out I was looking for a job - and she called up and offered me a position at the funeral homes. I was really looking forward to working at the Mon. School - but the pay was a bit low (although I am hoping that maybe sometime in the future things might work out there one day - I really loved it and the gal who runs it!). And this position payed more and was a bit more flexible with the nursing baby issue. So I get to work 2 1/2 hrs. go home, feed the young'uns and put them to bed, then go back and work another 2 1/2 hrs and I don't work on Wednesday's or the weekends either. I think it works out pretty good - the kids really only notice me being gone for the first 2 1/2 hours and then they sleep for the majority of the remainder.
On Tuesday, Kaylin kept complaining of there being something in her eye to my mom - I checked and didn't see anything, so I just assumed it meant that it was time to trim her bangs again! Wed. morning she was a little runny nosed, but nothing to think of really. Same on Thursday - but when she woke up from her nap, it looked like she had been out all night drinking it was so bloodshot. Of course my first thought was she had pink eye - I did a little research online and looked at it a little closer and I don't think that's what it is - I think the cold just spread to her eye. Pink eye is usually in the inner part of the eye (or so it seems) and this is on the outer part. Plus today it looks almost totally gone. But she's been pretty congested and yucky feeling the last few days, so my first week at work, wasn't really a whole week cause I kept her home on Friday just in case! I am going to keep her home tomorrow too just to be sure everything is "all clear". I am so glad that they have known me for so long otherwise I am sure the job would've been in jeopardy!

Today Brian and I were talking about when Kaylin's birthday was (I keep trying to teach her the date) and I said to her "it's on June 22nd right?" and she replies with "YEAH! that's right! I think we gonna go there and there's gonna be sprinkles and cake and candles and everything!" - I think she's looking forward to her party! Pretty sweet : ) I wish we could just "go there" to June 22nd today - it's kind of a slushy day today...

5 Comments:

Blogger . said...

That's pretty cool, congrats on the job! What are you doing at the 'home'?

5:31 PM  
Blogger Brian, Tammy, Kaylin, Isabella, Matthew and Mason said...

Right now it's kind of random - I "sit" wakes (basically just be there in case anyone needs anything), answer the phones, clean up after the wakes/services, and general office work. It sounds kind of creepy to work at a funeral home I know! But it's nice to work with people I know and that need me there.

11:15 PM  
Blogger . said...

That's cool, at least you aren't putting makeup on the dead people, or being there alone at night!! :0)

4:19 PM  
Blogger jodes said...

That's great news Tammy! Congrats on the job. Doesn't sound creepy at all - for whatever reason I always wanted to work at a funeral home. Weird, huh?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Joanie, Billy, Harrison, Haven, Hudson, and Holden said...

How great to find a job that can work so easily around your kids schedules! Awesome! Every once in a while I think about working, but I really don't know of any place that would pay me enough or give me the right kind of hours. I'm glad you found something that you like!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home